bordermarkers of the
Pyrenees : update-log
|(Wish to receive
a message with every update? Send me this email
)7 may 2016
- added the 9 daytrips performed in september 2015. Start on this page
- added at the links-page the website of Alain Gillodes
- added at the links-page a referral
to a very interesting page of the Conseil national de l'information
géographique with an online map of the borderline and 2 documents of
the 40ème Réunion de la commission internationale des Pyrénées - Paris,
03 décembre 2014.
- added the discovery by Serge Poncet of part of the number 508 on bm508: see this page
24 august 2015
- added the five daytrips around Bossòst, done in july. Start on this page
10 june 2015
- added four daytrips around Puigcerda, done in april. Start on this page
- with the information gathered on these daytrips, I corrected the GRPdesBF-stage 444-495 and worked out the details of the next stage 496-506
- the cartography-page got an update since I found a way to download and use the more precise SRTM1 elevation data.
- I have a new theory about
the original location of bordercross 359: not in the middle of the
steep hillside between bm358 and 360 but at its beginning.
- and again I worked out in full detail three other grpdesf-stages
(212-229, 230-237bis and 237-262),
providing the maps and directions
you need to walk the GRPdesBF. The Basques can now easily fulfill their
dream: 'doing' the esfr-bordermarkers on their territory: bm001-272.
- I stumbled upon the interesting website of Michel Molia: see the review on this page
18 april 2015
- again several more grpdesbf-stages (now from bm091 to 212) have been worked out in full detail, providing the maps
and directions you need to walk the GRPdesBF.
2 march 2015
several more grpdesbf-stages (from bm001 to 091 and bm444-495 & the
Llivia-circuit) have been worked out in full detail, providing the maps
and directions you need to walk the GRPdesBF.
- added a newspaper-article of Pierre Challier in the literature-list (see this
pdf-article) on maintenance work on Pont du Roi
- also a link in the literature-list to the documentary "Mon pays, c'est la frontière" broadcasted in France in febr. 2015
- on the special page on the mysterious bm359, I added a little bit on the translation of the phrase "une sorte
d'éperon en dièdre marqué"
31 december 2014
- added my last trips from september 2014, mainly covering high-altitude targets over the entire Pyrenean mountainrange. Start here for the full stories day by day
- the findings of these trips changed the lay-out and description/illustration of some GRPdesBF-stages: 237-262, 262-272, 310-311, 312-314, 326-329, 331-333, 418-420, 423-425, 444-495 and 524-542
- the mysterious bm359-cross keeps puzzling me as it does others like
Jean-Paul Laborie and Charles Darrieu. I dedicated a special page to bm359 listing all available sources and trying to answer questions
- the special page on the bm408-submarkers got some additions and corrections, thanks to comments by Charles Darrieu
- on the cartography-page, I added information about the use of smartphones/tablet for our job.
- Jacques Koleck revisited the bordermarker-cemetary of Gorospil and found a sixth marker: see this page
- Serge Poncet found an unmarked submarker between bm019 and bm020: see this page
- Angel Serrano helped me with additional information on the plaque at the Añelarra-ridge between bm271 and 271bis
- I added the (probable) members of the Commission Mixte d'Abornement on this page
27 august 2014
- the 18 stages from bm262 to 410 - previously only available as a "preview" - have been worked out in full detail, starting at this page. It's how I want to describe all the other stages
- added to the literature-page: an article of Joan Capdevila i Subirana
- added: an interesting old postcard of bm410 on this page
- added: pictures of the recently excavated bm196 on this page
- added an entry on the 'Sources-in-person'-page (about Cayetano)
- and have a look on the to-do page and my targets for the next trip.
30 june 2014
- added my last trips from may 2014 in the eastern Pyrenees around Coustouges. Start here for the full stories day by day
- the special page on the bm408-submarkers
was rewritten entirely, combining all the information that I had and
trying to find out where bm408 III and IV have been placed in 1964
- on the links-page I added the slideshows of Serge Poncet
- and there's additional information on
19 may 2014
- bm014-036: added a link to Robert Darrieumerlou's survey of the crosses on the ridge between bm021 and La Rhune.
about the submarkers between 56 and 57 and the unnumbered crosses on
the top of the Atxuria: information from Jacques Koleck, Serge Poncet
and Robert Darrieumerlou
- bm060-072: information about the unnumbered marker between bm061 and 062: a discovery of Robert Darrieumerlou.
Anne Marie Bats and Bernadette Chasseur visited the 'cemetary' beneath
bm075, reveiling new information. I also added an excerpt of Paul
Badiola's article on the misadventures of bm075 and bm076.
- bm409-410: information from Robert Darrieumerlou and the Darrieu's about a peculiar round base next to bm409,
- added my last trips from april 2014 in the eastern Pyrenees around Coustouges. Start here for the full stories day by day
- these trips led to an important update of the three GRPdesBF-stages from bm519 to 553: see this page and the 2 next stages
- the history-page
was updated with additional information on treaties before 1856, based
on an article of Paul Badiola (received from Jean Hirschinger), see the literature-page
- I added a new catagory: the 'other bordermarkers': unnumbered
bordermarkers on bridges, in tunnels etcetera with thanks to Jacques Koleck and Javier Martínez Ruiz. But remember: not
meant to be exhaustive, just for fun. Start at this page.
- and a modest new category about bordermarkers on old postcards. In recent
months I have received nice copies from Cayetano and Javier Martínez Ruiz. To be expanded.
- concerning old pictures: Mikel Belasko sent me a nice old picture of bm225: see this page
- the "In the press"-page got an addition with the article on Serge Poncet and his guests.
- Serge Poncet came up with a treaty concerning bm481 between Puigcerda en Bourg-Madame which was replaced by a bronze plate in the tarmac (like bm482)
7 april 2014
- a new series of GRPdesBf-stages is available: from bm417 (Portella Blanca) to the mediterranean see. Start here.
- for the remaining set of stages - from bm262 to 410 - I have made PREVIEWS, starting at this page.
A preview means: the routes of the stage have been established (either
detailed or rough) and you can already see them on a map and check them
on Google Earth with the .kml-files.
- Jacques Koleck sent me again pictures and information on a lot of
subjects. Concerning non-numbered bm's on bridges and in tunnels: they
will get in due time a special section on this website. For his
discoveries on the 'regular' (intermediate) bordermarkers, see the
relevant pages for bm001-002, bm024-025, bm028-029, bm029-030, bm032,
bm034-035 and bm036.
- Jacques also surprised me with his own blog: see this page
- concerning the mysterious bm261 and the six submarkers between bm261
and 262, Charles Darrieu provided additional information and pictures:
see this page
29 january 2014
- a new series of GRPdesBf-stage is available: from bm 410 (Garonne) to bm417 (Portella Blanca). Start here.
- in addition: the GRPdesBf-stage bm524-542, one of most challenging stages in my opinion, has got his first edition
- Jacques Koleck has summarized another year of
bordermarker-research in handwritten letters to me and delivered
information on many, many subjects. For example : bm40-41, 42,
66, 74, 222, 261-262, 271bis, 272-Col des Ourtets, 297-299, 359,
409-410, 364, 431-432, 597bis, 531, Llivia-16,
- Serge Poncet sent me a picture of an intermediate marker between bm011 and 012: see this page
- an addition to the links-page: "Mojones de los Pirineos"
- an addition to the literature-page: the book of Jean Hirschinger and Simone Hondelatte.
8 november 2013
- added my last trips undertaken in august/septembere 2013. Start here for the full stories day by day
- I used the "Murgoi-files" of Jesús Murueta Goikoetxea
(an extensive account of his survey of bm001-272, undertaken in
2000-2003) for additional info for the following bordermarkers: bm012,
021, 025-028, 030-33, 043, 056, 059, 065-067, 070, 072, 074-076, 080,
085, 087, 098, 143, 145-146, 164, 169, 182, 196, 212, 218, 222,
236, 246, 250-251, 255 and 262
- added a picture of bm510, recently replaced: see this webpage
8-12 august 2013
- added my last trips undertaken in may/june 2013 to the Basque country and Llivia, the ultimate highlight being bm196. Start here for the full stories day by day
- added: Anne Marie Bats et Bernadette - who proved that bm196 is indeed bm196 - at the 'sources in person'-page. Also added on that page: Jesús Murueta Goikoetxea
- added as part of the GRPdesBF: a circular walk around Llivia, visiting all bordermarkers
- added: one other unnumbered cross at La Rhune, picture provided by Javier Martínez Ruiz -> see this page
- added: a few pictures from Jacques Koleck, Javier Martínez Ruiz and Jean Hirschinger of
a 'cemetary' of former bordermarkers 75 and 76. See this page.
- do you want to know my targets for august/september: see the to-do-page
- putting "the Murgoi-files" (Jesús Murueta Goikoetxea's marvellous
account of his bm001-272-quest undertaken in 2000-2003) online: the Murgoi-files (note: it's a large file -280mb - and downloading takes time)
- bm028: added pictures of an engraved cross nearby, provided by Javier Martínez Ruiz.
23 may 2013
- the second series of GRPdesBF-stages is ready: walk from Arnéguy to Col de la Pierre St-Martin (bm196-262) in 4 days: start here
- thanks to contributions from especially Jacques Koleck but also Robert Darrieumerlou, Javier Martínez
Ruiz and Charles Darrieu I could add a lot of
information among which:
- added Jacques Koleck to the 'sources-in-person'-page
- bm001-002: two extra unnumbered crosses: see this page
- bm021-026 (around La Rhune): several intermediate markers: see this page
- bm036-038: two intermediatie markers: see this page
and the next page
- bm056-058: several intermediate markers: see this page
- bm061-066: several intermediate markers: see this page
- bm092: resurrected: see this page
- Pays quint: addional information: see this page
- bm145: discovery of the original bordercross: see this page
- bm146: a number 146 engraved in a rock nearby: see this page
- bm207: explanation of the ELAH-inscription: see this page
- bm251: there is still a bordercross 251: see this page
- bm261: information from the archives about its dislocation: see this page
- bm310bis: more photographic evidence: see this page
- bm330-330bis: extra pictures of the terrain/landscape: see this page
and the next day
- bm358: a cross nearby: see this page
- bm364: additional information: see this page
- bm365-366: about the intermediate markers: see this page
- bm424-425: information and picture concerning the borderpasses: see this page
- bm579-579bis-580: proposal for an alternative route: see this page
- l'inventaire à la Prévert: some additions: see this page
11 february 2013
- finally the first series of GRPdesBF-stages is ready: walk from Hendaye to Arnéguy (bm001-196) -> start at this page
- added a separate page on 'Print your own maps':
- made additions to the cartograpy-page
- added a few pictures of unnumbered bordercrosses near bm040: see this page
5 december 2012
- added my trips undertaken in august/september 2012: start here for the full stories
- one highlight: discovering the exact location of the buried bm196 and trying to excavate it: see this page
- another highlight: visiting the recently re-installed bm087: see the same page
- third highlight: exploring a route from bm271 to 272: see this page
- Miguel Martin supplied pictures of the original bm481fr and 482fr: see esfr-html-markers-481-490.html
- and an amazing discovery by Jean-Paul Laborie: he found the original bm330 on the original Port de Clarabide! See esfr-html-markers-315-330bis.html
-and another discovery: there is a bm310bis bordercross, not yet documented by anyone: see esfr-html-markers-310-314.html
- I started a news-blog and set up an email-group: see this page
15 august 2012
- added my daytrips of may 20112, undertaken with Jan-Willem: start here for the full stories
- main achievement was the finding of bm157, see this page
- the bibliograpy-section was renamed to 'sources' and complemented with a "sources in person"-subpage: listing people who supplied valuable information in person on the esfr-bordermarkers.
- Miguel Martin, living in Err, supplied information on bm481fr, recently covered with tarmac: see this page
- and Javier Martínez Ruiz sent me pictures of the recently reinstalled bm087 - see this page - and
- supplied important information on the location of the buried bm196: see this page and
- sent me pictures of the bm098, before its demolition: see this page
- Cyril Dominguez helped me to correct my list of carthographic omissions on the curiosities-page and other misstakes on the website
- I added social media-buttons on the frontpage
23 december 2011
- added my daytrips of august/september 2011, 'doing' the remaining bordermarkers: start here for the full stories
- main achievement was the series of bm271-304: see this page and further
- other direct links to new and updated bm-pictures:
- bm407-408 with a separate page on the story and localisation of the 408-submarkers
- bm420bis, 422, 422bis
- on the cartograpy-page: added some online cartographic services of Andorra and Spain
- on the Curiosities & Triva-page, I added items on 'Cartographic errors & omissions', "A to-do list for the CMA" and "A fake cross 316 at Col de Lourdes"
- in the Miscellania-section: added a page In the press
- made minor changes on a lot of other pages
- translated the remaining Dutch pages in English
22 july 2011
- added the trips 21-27 may (major feat -> sailing to bm602!) -> start here
- put a video of the sailing trip to bm602 on Youtube, visible here or directly on Youtube
- made a very humble start with the GRPdesBF-design: the first (which is the last) of the 52 stages is ready: see this page
- technical improvement: shifted from frames to tables -> printing becomes easy and each page is linkable
- added the special pages on the Andorra tripoints, formerly part of my dutch bordermarker-website
added old pictures of bordermarkers - copied from documentaries from
Luc Bazin- on these bordermarkers: 012, 036, 262, 330, 472, 513 & 577.
18 may 2011
- made a .kml (Google Earth-file) with the
coordinates of every bordermarker of the esfr-border: see this page
- added the cartographic services of the Spanish border-provinces on the cartography-page
- added a special page on Llivia (see the curiosities-page)
- added a smal "l'Inventaire à la Prévert (see the curiosities-page)
- added a picture of bm408b, recently found by the Darrieu's (see this page)
27 april 2011
- added the trips 21-25 march to the eastern Pyrenees
from the coast to Le Perthus, covering bm600 to 560.
added on the literature-page a few publications of Jean
the erudite bordermarker-delegate of the 20th century and an article by
B. Maurel on Sermet himself.
- made minor changes on other pages.
11 march 2011
received more information of Charles &
Josette Darrieu. Charles is
too lazy - he wrote jokingly- to build his own website and is
flattered when I use information and pictures of theirs for my website.
I'm grateful for this generosity because this couple has collected a
treasury of data on the esfr-bordermarkers.
In this update:
is added (see the corresponding "all markers"-pages)
on bm001-002, bm007, bm036, bm044, bm076, bm089, bm122bis, bm157,
bm235-236, bm330, bm359, bm408 I-IV, bm409 1-7, bm417, 420bis,
- I re-edited the "all markers" pages, limiting the
bm-pictures to one for each trip-day and referring for additional
pictures to the "all
- added information on the history-page
- added information on the curiosities-page on bm420bis
- renamed the literature-page in bibliography and splitted it in a
treaties- and literature-page.
- added a new page: about the maintenance of the bordermarkers
- added a new page: about myself.
- made minor changes on many other pages.
16 january 2011
to an elaborate email of Charles & Josette Darrieu - great
searchers of the esfr-bordermarkers - I could add information
lot of pages. There are 11 bordermarkers more on the
esfr-border than I thought
the 'all marker'-pages concerning: bm044-submarkers, bm086, bm087,
bm089, bm157, bm196,bm236, bm251, bm255, bm271bis, bm297, bm359, bm364,
bm367, bm408-I to bm408-IV, bm409-1 to bm409-7, bm415, bm416, bm422bis,
bm471, bm510, bm534, bm535, bm574bis
- the curiosities-page: how many bordermarkers are there?
- the literature-page: added a 'La Depeche'-article on
- the literature-page: added two spanish books (of MARTÍNEZ RUIZ and
VIGOR & SANZ)
- the to-do-page: added 11 bordermarkers still to do and other
27 december 2010
the trips of 25 august - 13 september covering bm250 - bm256,
bm261 - 270, bm314 - bm366 and bm411 - bm416. See the
corresponding 'all trips'- and 'all markers'-pages for more
- Added a french and spanish page with translation-tips. Also an
explanation how to print the webpages.
- Added a map of the Pyrenees (on the "All markers - intro"-page and the
To-do-page) with the remaining bordermarkers.
- Besides this: a lot of minor changes.
29 october 2010
update to change the link to Martial Garcia's website, adjust the one
to Alain Laridon's website and add one bordermarker (567bis) to the
total amount of esfr-bordermarkers.
16 august 2010
the trips of 9-12 july 2010 to Nuria, Cerdagne and the Albères. A lot
of remake-pictures but primarily meant to find bm435 to 437I, bm508-510
and the Llivia-markers 24, 26 & 27. See the
'all markers'-pages for more
22 june 2010
a link to Paco Nudel's website on the links-page. His picture of bm408
is a surprise implying that 'my' own bm408 is a submarker (408
Also very content to receive pictures of
of bm602. See the corresponding 'all markers'-pages for more
Besides this a lot of minor adjustments.
17 june 2010
Officially in the air!